Vitality Group, a subsidiary of Discovery Limited, offers a wellness platform program to global insurance companies that provides innovative health to foster healthier and happier lives. Vitality Group is responsible for the expansion of the Vitality Shared-Value Insurance business model beyond South Africa and the UK, serving to fully leverage the assets and intellectual property of Discovery beyond its primary markets.
Vitality Group operates a business providing wellness solutions to employer groups in the United States and partners with leading Insurers (AIA, Generali, John Hancock, Manulife, Sumitomo Life) across the world to launch and grow Vitality Shared-Value Insurance in their markets. Vitality Group is also responsible for Discovery’s 25 percent equity investment in Ping An Health, the largest comprehensive medical insurer in China. Vitality Group’s businesses jointly reach more than 8.9 million members across 19 countries (Austria, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, The United Kingdom, The United States, and Vietnam)
The Assistant Controller will directly assist the Vitality Group CFO and Vitality USA CEO in setting and executing the financial and strategy of Vitality USA.
The Assistant Controller assumes responsibility and manages the day-to-day accounting, finance compliance and financial management of the Vitality USA division within Vitality Group. He or She manages staff accountant and works closely with the Vitality Group accounting and finance team in Chicago and Sandton, South Africa in executing your duties and supporting the Vitality Group reporting, financial management and financial governance responsibilities.
The most qualified candidates will be those that bring a relevant depth of skill, thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, and possess a strong affinity for being part of making people healthier, and enhancing and protecting their lives.
This position will be located in Downtown Chicago, IL.
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Accounting and Reporting
- Day to day accounting for VUSA and accordance with accounting standards, VG accounting policies and VG internal financial reporting controls
- Manage the VUSA month-end close process and balance sheet reconciliations
- Prepare, deliver and discuss results of VUSA on a monthly basis to VG CFO, VUSA CEO and VG Group Accountant, and VUSA business unit leaders
- Identify and implement actions to take advantage of opportunities or to mitigate risks to the business, accounting and reporting processes
- Identify and resolve any accounting issues
- Manage internal and external audits on VUSA
- Assist other VG finance colleagues and the VG group accountant as needed relating to VUSA results or the business
- Analyze key business statistical data and compile analytical reports for the leadership, as needed
- Compile various accounting work papers for year-end close and information for Corporate tax return preparation
- Financial Management
- Work with the VUSA leadership to develop the annual budget of VUSA. Review, debate and iterate the budget with VG CFO and VUSA CEO
- Prepare quarterly forecasts to reporting periods ends based on actual results and expected business performance
- Assist the VG CFO and VUSA CEO to drive the business to achieve its financial targets, identify risks early and develop plans to correct.
- Become proficient with all pieces of technology/software utilized in the accounting department – Excel, SAP, Office 365 and Project
- Manage and promote positive relations with vendors, partners, and managers ensuring a shared vision and communication of timelines.
- Represent, communicate and enforce the vision and standards of the VG values through leadership and example.
- Promote cooperative effort, team spirit and good morale among employees.
- Have strong communication with colleagues and leadership to communicate any issues, concerns, or ideas.
- Have a strong understanding of VG business.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
- At least three to four (3-4) years of accounting experience. Public accounting preferred, but not required.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, with a focus on Excel.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret financial documents, including technical accounting procedures and government regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong project management skills and ability to work on simultaneous projects at varying stages.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, as well as time and task management.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight deadlines.
- Self-managed and motivated with a strong desire to succeed and achieve goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CPA is a plus.
We offer a variety of benefits and perks in our Chicago Loop office, including:
- Comprehensive health insurance
- Health savings account with employer contribution
- Vision insurance
- Dental insurance
- 401(K) with employer match
- Unlimited personal time off
- Life insurance
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Healthy breakfast
- Free membership at Lifestart Fitness Center
- Divvy Bike memberships
Think you’ve got what it takes? Bring it! Send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.